Current:Home > MarketsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Capitatum
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-07 06:54:18
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (753)
Related
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Vatican-affiliated Catholic charity makes urgent appeal to stop ‘barbarous’ Alabama execution
- Will Ravens TE Mark Andrews play in Sunday's AFC title game vs. Chiefs?
- Isla Fisher Shares Major Update on Potential Wedding Crashers Sequel
- Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
- How do I ask an employer to pay for relocation costs? Ask HR
- Sri Lankan lawmakers debate controversial internet safety bill amid protests by rights groups
- Military veteran charged in Capitol riot is ordered released from custody
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- Benny Safdie on 'The Curse' — and performing goodness
Ranking
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Brazil’s official term for poor communities has conveyed stigma. A change has finally been made
- Group sues Arkansas attorney general for not approving government records ballot measure
- Jennifer Lopez's Chin-Grazing Bob Is Her Most Drastic Hair Change Yet
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Sofía Vergara Reveals the Real Reason Behind Joe Manganiello Breakup
- Turkey’s parliament agrees to hold a long-delayed vote on Sweden’s NATO membership
- Wisconsin Republicans make last-ditch effort to pass new legislative maps
Recommendation
Breaking debut in Olympics raises question: Are breakers artists or athletes?
Youth rehab worker charged with child abuse after chokehold made boy bite tongue in half
Former orphanage founder in Haiti faces federal charges of sexually abusing minors
Man sentenced to life in prison for the fatal shooting of a deputy U.S. marshal in Arizona in 2018
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
3 dead in ski-helicopter crash in Canada
Canada is preparing for a second Trump presidency. Trudeau says Trump ‘represents uncertainty’
A blast of cold lets gators show off a special skill to survive icy weather